Friday, March 9, 2012

Project #8: Candied walnuts

I found a bunch of walnuts hiding in the back of our freezer and they needed to be cooked some way to make them taste decent. Time to try a new recipe. The original recipe is by Susan Sisson on All Recipes.com The only change I made was to add a pinch of salt when I mixed the sugar and water. Our microwave also only needed about 6 minutes and 30 seconds instead of 8 minutes. (I did one batch to 8 minutes and the nuts got overdone. They still ate 'em all though.) I just checked as the mixture cooked and stirred it every minute. I had no problem with it sticking because I poured it out onto a silicon mat. They came right off when they cooled. The kids and my husband all loved them. They are not super healthy but I think they'll be a nice treat for the holidays or something like that. And they took less than 10 minutes and 4 ingredients to make. Can't beat that. I think it would work with other nuts too. We'll have to try it.

They taste a lot better than they look in my bad pic taken at 11 o'clock tonight.
 And here's a quick update on project #7. The celery and green onions are growing away. They have really taken off this week. (I did have to bring them inside because the temps dipped below freezing one day.) To see what they looked like last week, see that post here.




5 comments:

Monica said...

i LOVE candied nuts! pecans are my favorites.

Jen said...

Ooh, the nuts look yummy!

Becky said...

They were super yummy! And way too easy to make.

Russ and Em said...

The nuts look amazing! I'll have to fix them when my kids are asleep because of allergies.

Becky said...

Em, I know a new mama who totally deserves a treat. Russ should make her some :) If he's not around, you should make her some. Less than 10 minutes and almost zero mess.